“Those who sing, pray twice.” St Augustine
Last Sunday our church organist played in an upbeat fashion. The music drew me into worship and I felt the presence of God. Music enhances my faith and opens my heart to see God in new ways.
Music is powerful. The ancient Greeks believed that music was the gateway to a person’s soul. I tend to agree. The music we hear or sing resonates God’s inner music deep inside us connecting us like part of a heavenly orchestra.
Have you ever thought of music as a spiritual practice? Here are some notes, musical notes, on how music feeds my soul:
1. Prods – Music prods my soul –“Hey you, awake from your slumber. God is here!” Music spurs my soul to soar.
2. Praise – Music releases notes of praise within my heart. I join a chorus from throughout the earth – birds chirping, trees rustling, whales singing – the list goes on and on – the entire planet praising the Creator.
3. Prayer – Singing hymns expresses my deepest feelings often when words can’t be found. “Amazing grace – how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.”
4. Peace – Music quiets my soul, deadening the noise surrounding me so I can once again hear God. Music that has about 60 beats per minute—particularly classical music by Mozart, Bach, and Brahms—helps the brain to shift to lower gear. The body automatically adjusts to the rhythm and pulse of the music bringing calmness and peace.
5. Presence – Music connects me once again with the Divine Director. God created music to draw us closer to Him like a magnetic current.
More than just sounds –
More than just words –
More than just notes on a page –
Music expresses the inexpressible and releases God’s song within us.
How does music refresh your soul?Written by